Senior Traffic Signal Engineer
Epsom, England, United Kingdom
Category: Traffic Engineering
Atkins is looking to appoint a traffic signal engineer undertaking all aspects of traffic signals, from inception through to operation. The role will be based in our Epsom office (Greater London)
The successful candidate will have experience in the field of traffic signal design, implementation and/or operation and will either have achieved or be working towards incorporated or chartered engineer status.
Responsible for undertaking and developing schemes both in the UK and overseas, the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills and a strong awareness of CDM and health and safety issues.
Locally managed but working as part of a successful UK wide traffic signals team, team working is extremely important to this role however the successful candidate would be expected to demonstrate an ability to use their own initiative to deliver excellence on each of their projects.
An efficient and accurate working style with attention to detail is required and flexibility in order to meet project requirements should be expected.
- Project management experience and qualifications (eg PRINCE2)
- Asset management/maintenance experience
- Traffic modelling experience
- Operational experience of SCOOT and/or MOVA
- Experience of design or operation of other ITS infrastructure
- Undertake traffic signal schemes from inception to operation, including site surveys, design, installation, FAT, SAT and validation
- Monitor your own projects to ensure delivery to budget, time and quality
- Liaison with clients with the ability to discuss all aspects of existing and future projects
- Identification of project opportunities
- Identification of network improvements
- Identification of added value in existing projects
- Authoring technical reports
- Preparation of cost estimates and scopes
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate evidence of:
- Ability to work collaboratively in a complex matrix structure
- Ability to assist and guide less experienced staff on technical delivery and project management
- Ability to show initiative and examples of creativity
- A professional manner
- A clear and thorough communication style
- Flexible attitude
Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies.
What we do
Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modelling of a flood defence system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions.
From cost and risk planning, feasibility studies and logistics to impact assessments and stakeholder engagement activity, we plan every aspect of our clients’ projects.
Atkins designs intellectual capital such as management systems and business processes; physical structures such as office towers, schools, aircraft, bridges and highways; and also advanced technology systems such as biometric scanners and superfast broadband networks.
Our clients entrust us with the management of projects, people and issues – ensuring that deadlines are met, costs are controlled and success is delivered.
Our skills lie in the expansive area of infrastructure – the wiring of society – encompassing buildings; land, sea, and air transport; information communications and security systems; and utilities (including energy and water); as well as in our experience of working for a broad range of clients, including national and local governments as well as the commercial sector. The social and environmental framework of our work is crucial, and we view all our projects in the context of the communities in which they are delivered.